Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Earth Day????

**Warning:  This is me getting on my "Green" Soap Box :) Sorry Y'all, I just can't help it!!

The Earth Day celebration at Zoe's school was far from what I considered Earth Day.  They had a picnic lunch...sounds good right??  BUT, the students were supposed to bring a totally disposable sack lunch, so that they didn't have to worry about keeping up with what belonged to who when they went outside to eat.  Now you need to know some background to understand why I took issue with this....

Normally, Zoe takes her lunch and aftercare snack to school everyday in a lunch bag that is specified by the school (meaning we had to buy this particular bag from her school and it is the only one we can use).  I pack an almost if not completely waste free lunch using reusable containers everyday of the year, except for Earth Day when I had to pack a lunch where everything has to be thrown away.  Make perfect sense right??? IDK

They also wore crazy socks for the occasion???  What do crazy socks have to do with the earth??  Please put me in my place and help me understand...tell me I'm overreacting!! Please ;)

So here are her adorable pictures in her crazy socks with her cute little leftover Easter gift bags (we had to have 2 - one for lunch and one for aftercare snack) that I purchased at the Walgreen's the night before Earth Day because we did not keep brown bags around for her lunch.



So, here is what Zoe learned from Earth Day....

She Loves Wearing Crazy Socks!!!  Here she is last weekend....


On a lighter note :), I did teach my kiddos about recycling/reusing things on Earth Day.  We made vessels from old magazines.  The directions are here if you are interested in how to make them.














** I am now stepping down from my "Green" Soap Box.

Tell me what you think...Was I making too big of a deal out of it??

5 comments:

  1. Doesn't seem like you are over reacting! Especially if they are bringing sack lunches and throwing away a lot of extra trash...

    But the magazine bowls really cool! I have been on a 'craft kick' since I started reading craft blogs and now have a huge list of things to make this summer. The bowl is added to that list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does not seem that they learned much about Earth Day by taking plastic bags and paper sacks instead of reusable containers that encourage reuse, renew, recycle - the whole idea of Earth Day education. If they could have only created a love for recycling/reusing like they created a love for crazy socks!

    I LOVE the magazine bowl idea. I rediscovered ModgePodge a few years ago, and I love it! I have made time capsules, pencil cups, and pots with colorful pictures, paper, and ModgePodge. Love the stuff! I am excited about trying my hand at a magazine bowl some day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter's school comes up with crazy stuff we need to come up with various times during the year as well. Especially fund raising for more stuff for the kids. I thought tuition covered that, but hey what do I know. The funds we raise will go to future kids, and probably not mine, but o'well. Somebody put money up for my girls, so I guess I need to pay it forward. I think they raised some for garbage cans as well. :)- Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments. I don't normally complain about Zoe's school.....I LOVE THEM!! but the Earth Day thing really got on my nerves. I don't mind raising money or donating things or whatever, but I do try to teach her to be respectful of the environment and they sure weren't that day.

    If you ladies try the bowl thing, look around for directions. I found tons of different ways to make them, and some directions seem easier than others. Email me if you find something cool, or if you make your own. I wanna see!!

    btw sherri...I HATE the smell of modge podge. I never use it, even tho it works great..can't stand the smell. It is just icky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Earth Day seems to not have been synomynous with ecology. Sometimes 'going green' seems strangely un-green. In McKinney, there is the issue of tearing down the courthouse - not the old courthouse on the square, but the 'new-old' courthouse just off the square -- to put up a so-called green building that is made from material recycled from torn-down buildings. That just does not make sense to my. Nor does it in anyway justify the cost that taxpayers will have to bear.

    ReplyDelete